Sunday, March 9, 2008

Fresh women

Okay, so yesterday I made eggs. Very different advertising than in the states. I don't think I've ever seen a carton of eggs with a picture of the inside of a cracked egg before. Kind of turns you off, no? Also, there were 10 eggs in the carton. When I pointed this out to Kyle he commented on the metric system.

Dropped off paperwork for the bus pass yesterday. Students get a bus pass for a month for 80 kuna. Which is a pretty good deal considering each ride usually costs about 10. (BTW, I don't know if I mentioned this before but 1 American dollar equals about 5 Kuna)

Next, we went to "Old Town". I didn't bring my camera with me because I knew I would be coming back. I just wanted to take everything in the first time. As soon as I crossed the drawbridge and entered the city I could have swore I was in the game "Assassin's Creed". No doubt about it, there was some white cloaked guy jumping rooftops.

There were a lot of steps. We went exploring over by the residential side and were intrigued by a sign that said "Cold drinks, best view, this way". So we went. No drinks, but definitely a crazy cool view. All the time I was reminded of Disney World or other places that try to imitate this (and do a horrible job). I half expected Mickey Mouse to come around the corner and yell "Surprise! Hehe!" But he didn't =(

Later we had Pizza again. And again it was delicious at a different place. I have this sneaking suspicion that Pizza will become a very common thing. Though as we were walking back to the apartment I managed to remember the name of the restaurant that Tina had told us about. "Copa Cabbana". Now we have to find it.

Later we went back to Old Town to a bar called "Fresh". I liked the tip jar: "Tips for Fresh women". There were a lot of kids from ACMT there. We made friends with them and the people who owned the bar were really cool too. And I swear one of the guys looked just like Syler from "Heroes". He overheard me talking about this with Teo and he said he gets that a lot. At least three other people had separate conversations regarding the same thing. The place got more crowded as the night went on. I found that more people talked to me when I spoke with a Croatian accent. I think I have it down ;). All I had to do to keep most of the women engaged and talking was to agree with them. Go figure. I found out a lot about how Croatian culture was heavily influenced by Italy and how America is "too new" to have its own culture. I nodded at this point and sprinkled in a few of my choice phrases. My vocabulary has increased as a result of the experience.

Regarding the video. The internet connection here at the apartment isn't very good and uploaded the files was pain staking. So I am going to do it at school.

Laters.

P.S. I had breakfast this morning on the terrace overlooking the beautiful world I'll be calling home for the next 3 months.

No comments: